Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Retail Therapy Month 2: Off the Wagon


I fell off the wagon.

But now that I think about it, is it really falling off the wagon if you got it for FREE????

You heard me.

Free.

Are you sitting down?

So, this flyer from DSW Shoe Warehouse comes in the mail announcing a FREE python print tote bag AND matching wallet, with a purchase of $24.95. I can feel my mouth begin to salivate....this might be worth a small break from the 64 days of self-imposed retail therapy. But if I am going to even consider breaking my shopping fast, I have to be smart about it, otherwise what was the point of it all, right?

So after checking my bank account and budgeting exactly how much I could afford to spend ($28.00 including tax), I suddenly remember the DSW gift card that I found in an old purse during our move to NC about 8 months ago. I had put it in a safe place, and though I had no clue what the balance was, I was sure that it would cover about half of the $24.95 I would need to spend in order to get my free tote.

So... armed with a mission, a coupon and a gift card, this sister made her move. (cue the James Bond music)

The next day, immediately after work (I almost PUSH the kids outta the classroom), I walk into DSW and head straight for the clearance section in the rear of the store. Not seeing anything that I could readily use or needed, I sit down to calculate my next move. Clearly I was going to have to pay a little more than $24.95, and if so, then I need to get something that would be worth every penny.

Now, what did I need?

Practical Black? Fresh new sneaks? OR...

Glancing down the rows of heels and stilettos, my eyes fall upon a pair of pearl taupe Michael Kors 3 1/2 in. slingbacks with a python print platform. I check the price...$59.99 (Hmmmm, maybe...just maybe). I slip them on (Fierce).

Head to the register. Manager shows me the tote (perfect match). Salesgirl rings up the shoes (heart thumping). I swipe the giftcard (palms sweating). Before I can pull out my debit card to pay the difference, she hands me a receipt and says, "Have a great day" (pull the needle off the FREAKING record).

Uh......(eyes bucked, mouth wide open)...WHAT?

I look at the receipt. There was about $80.00 on that giftcard! How does that even HAPPEN???? (Angels singing)

So I left that day, giddy as all get-out, with a free bag, a free wallet, some fabulous free shoes, and a feeling of such euphoria that for once, falling off the wagon had never....felt...so....good!

And yes, I'm back on the wagon, Ready to go another 64 days retail free!



4 comments:

  1. I don't know Lesleigh, I don't think its considered "falling off the wagon" if you got it for free.
    Congratulations on your 64 days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie,
    That story made me feel good. Congratulations on your bargain and writing an engaging piece.

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donnie,
    Whatever it was, I'm GOOD now!! Except for this new desire to buy a new Easter suit.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhonda,

    I sure felt good after writing it! Your words mean alot to me. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete