Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Pink Slip

I still don't know why they call it a pink slip. I mean, they're never printed on pink paper, as is suggested by the name. At least then it would've had somewhat of an aesthetic appeal....something pleasant to anticipate opening. But then maybe that would have been worse. And now that I think about it, overdue bills and past due notices are often identified by the rose-colored paper peeping out of the envelope address window. Nevertheless, mine came on plain white linen cardstock. And it came yesterday.

This was my journal entry nearly 7 months ago, making it official that my 14-year teaching career with Detroit Public Schools was coming to an end. How I wanted to cry my eyes out, to scream, "What in the....??? Are you CRAZY? You're letting ME go?" But ironically, I had no tears to shed, not right then. When I looked at my situation honestly, I'd been feeling restless for a few years, hoping that stepping into public school administration might be the answer, only to find that 3 years later, I was even more disillusioned...and burned the hell out. So, after a long sigh and a couple glasses of Riesling, I decided to smile, and move in a direction that I'd never been before.

Fast forward 7 months.......I have relocated South, taken a $17,000 pay cut, and created a new blog, with which I have struggled to post my first entry. First, I feared I wouldn't have anything to say that anyone would want to read. Then I feared I wouldn't be able to sustain this creative momentum I've felt since carrying my last box of belongings out of the school in Detroit. And then, thanks to a friend, I watched the following clip....and I began to rest in the confirmation that I am EXACTLY where I am supposed to be.



Setting my personal pauses about the video aside, I definitely could relate its message to what has happened in my life over the past year. You see, God has a remarkable way of leaving us no choice in the matter when it comes to doing what is destined in His will for us. We just have to rest in knowing that everything is in Divine Order. So now, as I conclude my first entry on what I hope will be a springboard to abundant, fearless living, I invite you to take this journey with me, to realize your passions, to put one foot in front of the other, and whatever it is, MAKE IT HAPPEN. We can do this.

....And now if you'll excuse me, my glass of lemonade is waiting.....pink lemonade that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment