Sunday, January 17, 2010

Return of the Sultry


She was the first one to teach me that a big forehead and full, red lips could be sexy. I pulled my bangs back and brushed my hair up into a simple ponytail, smoothed my mother's Revlon Rum Raisin over my lips, and gazed in the mirror. It was....beautiful. I, an adolescent, felt sexy, and from that point on I redefined the feature that others said was big enough to "fry an egg on." If she could be the shiznit with a big forehead and be called beautiful, then so could I.

Understated yet Unique. Unpredictable, yet consistent, Sade has ALWAYS been my idol. High yellow with an almost awkward style that merged demure with edge, Sade captivated me with a sound so original, and a style to match. Since the debut of "Diamond Life" in 1994, every song she put out spoke to me. I remember sitting so still, barely breathing, not wanting to miss a single syllable she sang. I would rewind the cassette and play it back, absorbing every lyric, letting them create a picture in my mind of the kind of love that was "...taller than the Empire State, ...wider than Victoria Lake". Damn, she sang a good game, and convinced a 12 year-old, west side Detroit girl that it really was a crime that not only did still wanted this dude, but she wanted him to want her too.

After watching her newest video, following a decade on hiatus, there is no doubt in my mind that the songtress is back.

With an U.S. album release date of February 9, 2010, "Soldier of Love" so far proves to be classic Sade through its moody title cut single; sultry and rugged, with her signature dual harmonies and rich alto tone floating over solid, tribal rhythms. Sade has consistently fused intricate jazz melodies with simple choruses and complex verses. The result? Classic, good music. And the video? From the sequined jumpsuit, to the wonder woman-style lasso, to the men stepping cadence before her commanding stature...I have no words. She took her time, did it her way, and returned to the scene, pressing the resume button and continuing her reign as the Queen of Sultry. She is and forever will be iconic, genius, and simply showstopping. Never pretentious, forever authentic, she is Sade. Welcome back lady....although for me, you never left.

No comments:

Post a Comment